Redwood School opened on 2 February 1966 with a roll of 168 children and four teachers. The principal was Mr Con Coffey.
The school takes its name from the area of Tawa known as Redwood with both the Redwood area and Redwood Avenue named in recognition of Dr Francis William Redwood (1839-1935), Archbishop of Wellington.
In 1959 the Tawa Development Corporation began work on Redwood Avenue with surrounding streets soon after. 7 years after this the school was founded.
Over the years the school roll has fluctuated and peaked in 1974 with 617 children, Tawa Intermediate opened in 1975 which meant Year 7 and 8 (Form 1 and 2) children no longer attended Redwood. In 2019 the school open with 349 students.
In its short history there have been four principals: Con Coffey, Pieter Braun, Sue Goodin and Zac Mills.